Monday, November 17, 2014

Week 68

Things are about to get super real here in New Mexico.

We had a tough yet rewarding week. LALO, the dump man wa to come to church this Sunday! Some members that live by him in Aragon picked him up and he stayed all 3 hours and agreed with everything taught in gospel principles class about baptism. We had GREAT member support in the instant class.

We taught Lalo the Plan of Salvation this week and he was so cute! He said," I didn't know that I lived before I came to earth." He grasped everything so well. When we asked him about his Book of Mormon reading he was so sad and said, " I haven't been able to memorize that chapter yet, I want to testify like you all do, I want to know the scriptures like you do." We assured him that he doesn't have to memorize the scriptures! He is so diligent and his prayers are so sincere. We love teaching Lalo. He has been telling all his friends about us and about his baptism. He is so exicted! We drove to the reserve dump with Bishop the other day to introduce him to Lalo as the Bishop. Lalo told bishop about his progress and said,"The sisters say I am almost ready to be baptized so I guess I am doing well!"

Bishop told us that he would have NEVER guessed that Lalo would be interested. Lots of people look down on him and have made some rude comments about him. But when we meet with Lalo I know that we see him as who he can become. And he is starting to believe how special he is! He is rediscovering the light in himself.

We are so exited an humbled to be part of a mission prayer this week. This is the email that President Sweeney sent out to the whole mission...
Dear Elders and Sisters -
We have a mission that has great faith. It is because of that that I seek your help.
The Sisters (Sisters Christensen, Harrast and Doolhoff) in the Luna Ward and Pie Town Branch have labored to share the gospel with those in this area since June 2014. Prior to this time, there were no full time missionaries in this area. The Spirit seemed to brood upon me and I assigned three wonderful Sisters to labor there to open up this area for the preaching of the gospel.
I know there are those here that are prepared to listen. But despite their best efforts, the harvest has been meager.
The District Leader for these Sisters approached me with an idea: could we do a mission-wide week of prayer for this area - added to the groups we are praying for - for one week? I asked the 3 Sisters and they were enthusiastic to the idea!
I am impressed with the sincerity of the request and the child-like faith of the Sisters that our prayers in their behalf will yield an increase in the harvest. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." (James 5:16)
So, please join me in praying for the Luna Sisters' area for one week beginning on P-Day (Nov. 10) for one week (through P-Day Nov. 17). That they will find - or members will help them find - people to teach in their area. That hearts will be opened to our message.
THANK YOU!
President Sweeney
I am so humbled and excited to be included in every companionship's prayers this week! I know that we will see miracles as a result!

In my studies this week I learned about being patient with the work. These were a good reminder....

2 Nephi 27
20 Then shall the Lord God say unto him: The learned shall not read them, for they have rejected them, and I am able to do mine own work; wherefore thou shalt read the words which I shall give unto thee. 21 Touch not the things which are sealed, for I will bring them forth in mine own due time; for I will show unto the children of men that I am able to do mine own work.

2 Nephi 33
2 But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.
 3 But I, Nephi, have written what I have written, and I esteem it as of great worth, and especially unto my people. For I pray continually for them by day, and mine eyes water my pillow by night, because of them; and I cry unto my God in faith, and I know that he will hear my cry.
 4 And I know that the Lord God will consecrate my prayers for the gain of my people. And the words which I have written in weakness will be made strong unto them; for it persuadeth them to do good; it maketh known unto them of their fathers; and it speaketh of Jesus, and persuadeth them to believe in him, and to endure to the end, which is life eternal.

This is how I feel right now. That a lot of people don't want to listen. Their hearts are hardened. These people are merciless. Haha but so are we! I love these verses in chapter 33 because I know that all of my prayers will consecrated in some way. I am still thoroughly convinced that I am a seed planter.

I am grateful for this area and how hard it is! Yesterday in fast and testimony meeting we had a few members get up and mention us in their testimonies. The members up here actually trust us and love us now. We are making differences in many lives. I can't wait to see this area continue to grow as time goes on. 

Hermana Christensen :)


 Right before our big singing break at stake conference


Trying to teach the cows, fails every time. President Sweeney suggested that I lure them in with apple slices!

No comments:

Post a Comment