Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Week 57

This week was a quickie! 

Maria and family did not come to church. we are not sure why yet, but good thing there is always next week! 
As for the food we eat here- its a lot of GREEN CHILE! Green chile every thing. I have had green chili fudge even! And green chili cheeseburgers. That's what we do here. Its all about the green chili. And TexMex. 
The stragest thing I have almost eaten here was mountain oysters.
I didn't though.

A new key indicator that our mission is keeping track of right now is TTI's. Which are first contacts with people we don't know and inviting them to learn more. So my competitive drive has come out even more in talking with everyone.

We had the Catron County Fair this weekend, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. They cancelled school on Thursday for the fair- its a BIG deal here! A few weeks ago we visited a less active family here in Apache Creek and they are in charge of a lot over the fair and so we were able to help out on Saturday cleaning up after the BBQ. Everyone of the usual helpers were so thankful and appreciative of our help- we washed A LOT of dishes. 
There was a group of young men there paying guitars and singing and we were able to talk with them. We ended up inviting them to learn more about the gospel and 4 of them agreed and they all happen to live in PIE TOWN of all places. So we carved their numbers into a Styrofoam lid and told them we would call them! 
Then my favorite part of this week happened Saturday and Sunday.

We were heading out of town for a meeting in Eagar and we had just left Brother East's home (He has a whole nother story). When we were passing down one of the 5 roads in Rancho Grande I noticed some men sitting out on a porch and waved. Then I remembered TTI's! So I said should we turn around? I got a "no that will be so awkward."  So I turned around anyways because I thrive off of awkward situations. We pulled in front of their home and Sister Harrast was a little apprehensive at the sight of the men and Sister Lee said, "yeah big blonde and beautiful over here is going to get us killed." hahaha. So I walked up and noticed they were all drinking... They spoke Spanish and were so happy I did too! They are here working for a few months from Mexico-legally! 11 of them live in that little house. I said that we have a special message to share with them about Jesus Christ and asked if we could come back another time when they weren't drinking. They tried to invite us in but I was persistent and we set another appointment. 

So SUNDAY, Bishop Payne came out with us, we went in the house and all of the men were dispersed through out the house and they kind of awkwardly ignored us. So Bishop motioned for me to take charge. I walked through the house and told everyone to come listen to us that we had a message for them. After a good ten minutes of trying to rally up these tired men, we had 7 of them sitting in front of us.
 
I started us out with a prayer and then went right into how the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored to the earth by a prophet in these last days. Bishop explained about Joseph Smith and then we introduced the Book of Mormon. They were all staring bright eyed and attentively at us. It was so neat.

Bishop Payne and I were able to teach them together in Spanish. We had a copy of The Book of Mormon for each one and read a few parts all together. One of them, Roberto, was so sincerely interested and had SUCH GOOD QUESTIONS. Then the other ones started asking if they could be baptized into our church and then if they would be able to serve missions too if they did! Haha, we explained that yes they could, once they read the Book of Mormon and believed that the things we teach are true. 

We taught them how to pray and invited them to church to hear us sing next week and to the chicken fry on Saturday. They seemed really excited to have something to do other than work and lay around the house and drink all day so hopefully they come! 

The cool thing is, is that Saturday morning I took a Spanish Book of Mormon out of the car to carry around with me instead of an English. I said a prayer in my heart asking Heavenly Father to help me find someone to give it to. That night I gave it to Jesus the Mexican worker I talked to on the porch. I know that my prayer was answered and form that small act of faith we were able to teach many people in Spanish. I am so happy. 

I love my companions, we have a lot of fun and are very creative in the ways we talk to people and the things we do to bring about much good in this area. I love it here. 

Hermana Christensen


Among the flowers.


One of our many river crossings, and check out the beautiful country we live in! (in Luna)


No comments:

Post a Comment